Pearson and UniCourse have now fully launched a Higher National (HN) route for those wishing to study individual units rather than committing to a full Higher National qualification.
HN Flex offers a bespoke combination of Higher National units depending on the individual or employers needs. These units all form part of the Higher National Certificate (HNC) and Diploma (HND) specifications, accredited by Pearson Edexcel, who are regulated by Ofqual. Upon completion of the units, students will receive a Certificate of Unit Credit (CoUC) which will detail the unit(s) studied, Ofqual number, and credit value.
What does HN Flex mean?
The HN Flex scheme allows you to gain bite-size skills efficiently without enrolling on a full qualification.
It means you can study individual, stackable Higher National (HN) units with the opportunity to progress onto a complete, long-term Higher National qualification in the future.
HN Flex is suitable for you if:
- You want to study individual, stackable skills within a single BTEC Higher National qualification from our range of over 40 subjects.
- You want to study individual units of CPD as and when required.
- You have previously studied HN units or obtained an HNC or HND, and you would like to top up your knowledge and skills base by learning an additional few unit(s) from the wide range of HN optional units we offer.
- You have a long-term ambition of gaining a Higher National qualification. However, for the time being, you would only like to study a few topics/units. These units can be banked and used later down the line towards your qualification.
- Instead of completing a full qualification, you are interested in gaining more niche skills, in upskilling or reskilling, for Continuing Professional Development (CPD).
- You are interested in studying a combination of topics/units from our HN Engineering and HN Business programmes. Someone working in engineering, who is required to develop skills in business management, would take up this route, for example.
How does HN Flex work?
We are an online distance learning provider; therefore, all units are taught and delivered online.
You have 2 years to complete your unit(s) in your own time, and once you have, you will receive your Certificate of Unit Credit (CoUC) which will detail the unit(s) studied, Ofqual number and the unit credits.
All learning objectives are part of the RQF framework, and all resources are the same as the usual Pearson Edexcel HNC/D resources.
You will have flexible and unlimited tutor support seven days a week and optional live tutorials, all of which are recorded for later viewing. You will also benefit from fast marking; within three working days of submission.
There are also no exams! All assessments are based upon Pearson assignments that you submit to us in your own time.
The usual entry requirement is a level 3 qualification in the relevant field. However, mature candidates who do not possess such qualifications but have experience in the relevant field(s) can also be accepted onto the course.
Candidates must also be at least 18 years old and have a UK address.
How do I start?
- Complete an application form and choose your units.
- We review your application and let you know if you’ve been approved within one working day. If you’re accepted, you’ll receive an approval email and a link to the enrolment form.
- Once enrolled, we take payment, give a full induction, and send you everything you need for your unit(s), so you can start as soon as you’re ready!
- You have two years to complete your unit(s) in your own time.
We have a wide range of units that can be studied, such as:
- Unit 1 – Engineering Design
- Unit 4 – Managing a Professional Engineering Project
- Unit 8 – Mechanical Principles
- Unit 11 – Fluid Mechanics
- Unit 12 – Engineering Management
- Unit 13 – Fundamentals of Thermodynamics and Heat Engines
- Unit 15 – Automation, Robotics and PLCs
- Unit 17 – Quality and Process Improvement
- Unit 18 – Maintenance Engineering
- Unit 19 – Electrical and Electronic Principles
- Unit 20 – Digital Principles
- Unit 21 – Electrical Machines
- Unit 22 – Electronic Circuits and Devices
- Unit 30 – Operations and Plant Management
- Unit 31 – Electrical Systems and Fault Finding
- Unit 32 – CAD for Maintenance Engineers
- Bridging Maths
If you are interested in learning more about how Pearson’s HN Flex can benefit you or your employees, contact our HN Flex team at HNFlex@unicourse.org, who will be more than happy to provide you with an information pack and/or a corporate booklet, or call us on 0151 236 1982.
"You are provided with all the resources you need and the support is fantastic. I would recommend Unicourse to anyone looking for distance learning at their own pace."
"I have enjoyed my course so far with Unicourse, I have found it a lot more flexible and can fit it around my hectic lifestyle a lot easier than attending college with assignment deadlines. Any problem I have had with the course have been answered very quickly. I would recommend Unicourse to others who are busy but want to carry on with education."
"From the start of the enrolment phase, UniCourse admin team made everything simple and clear how the course would be laid out with the program ‘Moodle’ I would be using. The course is a very convenient way to study even if you are already fully employed like myself and lecturers were easily contactable and friendly. Overall I had pleasant experience with unicourse and would recommend them to anyone looking to improve on their education"
"My dream of finishing my studies has been possible only because of Unicourse, they have given me the opportunity to be flexible with my studies and hold a full time job all at the same time. I would highly recommend them for anyone looking to study and work at the same time. I have found them to be very helpful with all my queries and they are quick to help me solve my problems. This is so convenient for me I can study in my own time and in my own home no need to travel to college at a certain time. After finishing my current HNC course I hope to start HND with Unicourse they are fantastic i am very pleased with them."
"With a full time Job and 2 very young kids a normal 9-5 course was not an option. It was becoming increasingly difficult to better my career options. Finding Unicourse on the internet has really opened up my learning potential. Their professionalism, knowledge and flexibility are really first class. To sum them up in one word.... Awesome!"
"I have found Unicourse to not only be a very convenient way to study as I am a self employed full time electrician, but also the course tutor to be very helpful. Whether I require help by phone, email or a live web session he is always available. The tutor also returns marked work very quickly allowing me plenty of time to make any adjustments. I have found Unicourse to afford me the best opportunity to progress my career whilst also continuing to work full time. "
"I have really enjoyed my experience so far with Unicourse.org even obtaining a Distinction on my first module. The staff and lecturers are quick and helpful with their responses to any and all enquiries and the video conferencing platform is very helpful when discussing intricate subject matter. I would highly recommend the course to anyone wishing to broaden their horizons whilst holding down a full time job."
"Great tutors, easy to follow workbooks, great support, would highly recommend."
"Time and place were severe obstacles to me achieving a HND in Electrical and Electronic Engineering. Thankfully, the flexible options offered by Unicourse have allowed me to undertake my HND from home with them while working full-time. They have personalised my HND, allowing me to choose from many optional units. The traditional colleges I looked up did not offer option choices at all. I have also managed to complete my HND with Unicourse in a fraction of the time that would have been necessary at other colleges. I am really pleased that I made the right choice. The support I got was fantastic."
"The flexibility of the courses and the professionalism of the staff make UniCourse a great way to improve your personal skills with a chance of a future career."
"If you want to succeed I personally suggest you apply to UniCourse. Why? After many years away from study I did my HNC. It was hard work but with superb help and guidance I obtained 8 Distinctions. This year I am doing my HND in Electrical & Electronic Engineering with UniCourse. Again, UniCourse are pulling out all the stops with high quality assignments, a one-to-one videoconferencing platform, incredible feedback and comprehensive support when needed."